Let me start this topic with some of my favourite quotes based on overthinking:
- You will never be free until you free yourself from the prison of your own false thoughts.
- Stop worrying about what can go wrong, and get excited about what can go right.
- There is nothing in this world that can trouble you as much as your own thoughts.
- Worrying is like sitting in a rocking chair. It gives you something to do but it doesn’t get you anywhere.
- The more you overthink the less you will understand.
- Too much thinking leads to paralysis by analysis.
Overthinking: The art of creating problems that weren’t even there. Yeah! It is a problem we all face at some point in our life especially when things aren’t happening the way we want to be. Whatever issues life presents us, whether small or big, we think about them and sometimes to an extent.
Overthinking might be because of your career, love life, or any other tangled situation. But, the most useful question you can ask yourself when you are overthinking is: Will it solve or change my situation if I continue to think in this way? Changing your thinking into something positive might change your mood and ultimately your actions.
So, without wasting any time here are 7 helpful tips which might help you out to stop overthinking.
- Be Active, move and tire the body out! : Yes! One of the major reason why you overthink is that you have the time to run a lot of thoughts in your mind. When you think aimlessly it won’t give any fruit that can be beneficial. Instead, you can exercise, walk, run or play any sport to declutter your thoughts and challenge yourself to improve your health. By doing this you not only will improve your health but you will divert your thoughts into something fruitful.
- Put things into a wider perspective: Asking yourself a few questions might change your pattern of aimless thinking to something that can give you a beneficial outcome. A question like: Will this matter in 5 years? Or even in 5 weeks? Ask the questions to yourself by considering the future perspective.
- Develop the skill of forgiveness: Forgiveness on many occasion helps to develop positive self-esteem, improve mood, and dramatically improves health. It’s special because it can bring the ultimate peace to people.
- Learn why it is harmful to overthink: Everyone likes to be on the harmless side. No one would like to be on the harmful side. So, find out the reasons and learn why it is harmful to overthink. Awareness is the beginning of change.
- You can’t predict the future: Realize that you cannot predict the exact future, all that you have is now. Thinking about the future is just a way to steal your present moment and triggering to worry about the things that aren’t even there.
- Positive overthinking: Yes! This can be thinking about your best self. Positive overthinking won’t cost you anything and it will help you to boost the confidence.
- Be Grateful: Gratefulness is just like an antidote to negative emotions, a neutralizer of envy, hostility, worry and irritation. It is savouring; it is not taking things for granted; it is present-oriented.